Rob has been active in the tech community since 1987 when he worked as a financial reviewer with CRA’s fledgling Scientific Research & Experimental Development Program (aka “SR&ED” – pronounced SHRED) in Victoria.
SUTTON INNOVATION INC – The SR&ED Team
Today Rob is a founding member of Sutton Innovation Inc. – a BC-based SR&ED Practice. He lives in Vancouver and works primarily in Southern BC.
Between 1988 and 2000 Rob operated an accounting practice in Victoria, BC – focusing on early stage technology companies. In 1998 he was one of a few dozen specialists selected from across the country to attend the Vancouver SR&ED Practitioners’ Sessions with then Revenue Minister Herb Dhaliwal. After selling the practice in 2000, he re-located to Vancouver and formed CFO 2 GO Financial Inc – a company providing outsourced controllership functions to early stage companies.
Rob joined PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (now “PwC”) as a manager in 2005. In 2009 he was promoted to senior manager – in their Vancouver Scientific Research and Experimental Development (aka “SR&ED”) tax practice. Working with PwC allowed him to ‘up his game’, working with some of the best tax professionals around and with a range of clients from large multi-nationals to technology startups – and everything in between.
2008 SR&ED Update presented to the Canada Tax Foundation in Winnipeg. The report was reviewed by Mel Machado – former head of CRA’s SR&ED Directorate – and a partner with PwC in Ottawa.
- Allocation of labour expenditures
- Expenditure limits for larger Canadian-controlled private corporations (CCPCs)
- Shop-floor SR&ED and EP vs CP/ED (Experimental Production and Commercial Production with Experimental Development Work)
- Association and control in related company groups
- Treatment of government and non-government assistance
- Definition of contract payment in subsection 127(9)
- Definition of SR&ED in subsection 248(1)
- Review of project descriptions to ensure compliance with eligibility requirements
- Technical specialist in food-related technologies
Let’s Start WORK
207-2288 Welcher Avenue
Port Coquitlam BC V3C 1X4