BC Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit
In 2010 the BC Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit was introduced to encourage investments in the gaming industry.
Delivery of these incentive programs relies upon interpretations of Federal and Provincial income tax legislation. Unfortunately Canada’s Income Tax Act is not only exceedingly complex – it is extensively litigated – making compliance difficult for eligible companies.
My background and experience in tax and tax incentives is extensive:
- In 1985 I spent 3 years with the Canada Revenue Agency as a tax auditor – more than a year of which was spent with the fledgling SR&ED program (1987 and 1988).
- In June of 1998 I represented the Vancouver Island Advanced Technology Centre (VIATeC) at a two-day conference, entitled “Building Partnerships”, which brought together over 70 representatives from industry associations and individual companies to work with government officials to improve the SR&ED program, and to ensure continued industry participation in its administration.
- In May of 2008 I wrote and presented a paper entitled: “Canada’s Scientific Research and Experimental Development Program – Into the 21st Century” -at the 2008 Prairie Tax Conference in Winnipeg.
- In 2010 I completed Part II of the CICA’s In-Depth tax program.
- As a former senior manager and an alumni of PwC, I had the opportunity to work with Mel Machado who served as head of CRA’s SR&ED Directorate and was responsible for drafting most of the SR&ED tax legislation prior to 2008.
If your company qualifies for one or more of these incentives – or you think that it may qualify – I have the necessary skills and experience to assist. As a tax specialist first, I can help understand and/or structure the financial issues to maximize benefits for your company.